Oct 18, 2017
120 Credit Hours
*must include a minor or an additional major
Philosophy majors must successfully complete (with a grade of C- or higher) all philosophy courses, general education courses, language courses, and any labs.
General Education Requirements - 43 Credit Hours
Philosophy majors must meet the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements as set out in General Education Program .
One course must be selected from each of the following lists of Global Studies and Social Science courses.
- Global Studies Requirement: The Philosophy department suggests that philosophy majors take PHL 1053 - Asian Philosophy to satisfy the Global Studies requirement. (If taken to satisfy the Global Studies requirement, then it will not count toward PHL degree requirements.) Asian Philosophy is offered every fall.
- Social Science Requirement: The Philosophy department suggests that philosophy majors take PHL 1103 - Foundations of Social Science to satisfy the Social Science requirement. (If taken to satisfy the Social Science requirement, then it may not count toward PHL degree requirements.) Foundations of Social Science is offered every spring.
Global Studies Menu Options - 3 Credit Hours
Social Science Menu Options - 3 Credit Hours
School of Arts and Sciences: Additional Natural Science Requirements - 5 Credit Hours
Five additional hours of natural science: 1 lab to accompany the course taken for general education [BIO 1043 , BIO 1023 , ESC 1043 , OCY 1043 , PHY 1033 or PHY 1063 ], and one additional natural science course and accompanying lab. The two natural sciences must be in different areas (both cannot be in biological sciences). In sum, you are required to take a minimum of 8 hours of natural science courses: two natural science courses (in two different areas) along with the labs associated with each.
Foreign Language Requirement
Philosophy majors are required to fulfill the Philosophy Department language requirement. Philosophy majors are required to successfully complete (with a grade of "C-" or higher) two semesters of language in a single language at PBA in French, German, Greek, Hebrew or Spanish. The Philosophy Department recommends that the language requirement be satisfied prior to the senior year. If foreign language courses are taken to fulfill the Global Studies requirement, then those courses also count toward Philosophy Department language requirements.
No CLEP, AP, IB or transient study credits may be used to fulfill this requirement. Students may take elementary or intermediate language courses or a combination of both.
Required Philosophy Courses - 15 Credit Hours
Select Any Two of the Following - 6 Credit Hours
Philosophy Electives - 15 Credit Hours
Select any 5 options from the following list with at least one of the five being a PHL course. Philosohy majors may not repeat any course from the requirements above.
*Additional Required - 34-37 Credit Hours
This meets the 120-credit-hour requirement and the 42-upper-level requirement.
Undergraduates who major in Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) are required to take multiple philosophy courses. PPE majors may count the following courses toward the requirements for a philosophy major or philosophy minor:
Undergraduates who major in Pre-Law are required to take multiple philosophy courses. Pre-Law majors may count the following courses toward a philosophy major or philosophy minor:
- PHL 3083 Epistemology
- PHL 3133 Formal Logic Systems
- PHL 4143 Ethics
Undergraduates who major in Politics may count any three of the following courses toward a philosophy major or philosophy minor:
- PLS 3093 Western Order: The Christian Contribution
- PLS 3123 Classical & Medieval Political Thought
- PLS 3153 Christian Political Thought
- PLS 3313 Political Thought
- PLS 4173 Seminar: Seminal Political Philosophers
- PLS 4313 Modern Political Thought
Undergraduates who major in History may count the following courses toward a philosophy major or philosophy minor:
- HIS 3083 Ancient Mediterranean
- HIS 4123 Medieval Europe II
- HIS 4153 Renaissance & Reformation
Undergraduates in the School of MInistry who major in Biblical and Theological Studies, Cross Cultural Studies, or any concentration in Ministry may count the following courses toward a philosophy major or philosophy minor:
- BIB 3143 Philosophy of Religion
- BIB 4063 Advanced Christian Apologetics
- CCS 3503 World Religions