Feb 06, 2023
120 Credit Hours
Program Learning Outcomes
“Expected student learning outcomes specify the knowledge, skills, values, and attitudes students are expected to attain in courses or in a program.” Page 69. Resource Manual for the Principles of Accreditation: Foundations for Quality Enhancement, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), 2018.
1. The student applies conventions of jazz and popular music theory.
2. The student improvises vocally or instrumentally using scales and methods appropriate to the musical genre or style.
3. The student demonstrates effective songwriting skills.
4. The student demonstrates the ability to create and perform a 45-minute concert in the popular music genre.
5. The student demonstrates the ability to create and produce a professional recording of original music.
6. The student demonstrates the ability to enter the music industry business.
Conferral of a Baccalaureate degree in this program of study is determined by successful completion of the Baccalaureate Graduation Requirements outlined here .
NOTE: Students must earn 42 upper level (3000-4000) credit hours in order to graduate. A total of at least 21 of these upper level credit hours must be completed in the selected major.
Visit this program’s information page for additional program-specific requirements.
Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) Requirements - 43 Credit Hours
Music majors must meet the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements as set out in the Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) Program . The Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) Fine Arts, Global Studies, and Science requirements are fulfilled through other courses in this major. Only 35 of the 43 credit hours of the Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) program will still be required for the completion of this program.
Popular Music Industry Major - 63 Credit Hours
Music Core - 17 Credit Hours
The Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) Fine Arts requirement is fulfilled through any 2 credit hours of MUS courses below.
Popular Music Industry Courses - 28 Credit Hours
Performance Requirements - 18 Credit Hours
- Applied Principal 6 Credit Hours minimum
- Class Piano (Piano Proficiency Examination must be passed) OR Applied Secondary (2 Credit Hours minimum)
- Ensemble (10 Credit Hours, minimum, with at least 2 years of major ensemble)
Additional Required Credit Hours - 22 Credit Hours
This program must include a minor or an additional major. Business courses are encouraged.