Dec 08, 2023
120 Credit Hours
Program Learning Outcomes
“Expected student learning outcomes specify the knowledge, skills, values, and attitudes students are expected to attain in courses or in a program.” Page 69. Resource Manual for the Principles of Accreditation: Foundations for Quality Enhancement, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), 2018.
1. Develop versatile musicians who hear music intelligently and critically.
2. Develop versatile musicians who write music intelligently and critically.
3. Develop versatile musicians who perform music intelligently and critically.
4. Develop musicians who demonstrate knowledge of the cultural/historical contexts of musical works.
Conferral of a Baccalaureate degree in this program of study is determined by successful completion of the Baccalaureate Graduation Requirements outlined here .
NOTE: Students must earn 42 upper level (3000-4000) credit hours in order to graduate. A total of at least 21 of these upper level credit hours must be completed in the selected major.
Visit this program’s information page for additional program-specific requirements.
Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) Requirements - 43 Credit Hours
Music majors must meet the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements as set out in the Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) Program . The Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) Fine Arts, Global Studies, and Science requirements are fulfilled through other courses in this major. Only 35 of the 43 credit hours of the Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) program will still be required for the completion of this program.
Music Major - 56 Credit Hours
Music Core - 17 Credit Hours
The Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) Fine Arts requirement is fulfilled through any 2 credit hours of MUS courses below.
Music Studies Courses - 17 Credit Hours
Music Track - 22 Credit Hours
Choose one of the following tracks:
Applied Music Studies Track
- Applied Principal (6 Credit Hours, minimum)
- Class Piano or Applied Secondary (2 Credit Hours, minimum) Continuous piano study required until the piano proficiency exam is passed.
- Major Ensemble (6 Credit Hours, minimum) Oratorio Chorus, PBA Symphony, or Symphonic Band
- Second Ensemble (6 Credit Hours, minimum) Additional ensemble required for applied studies emphasis. Voice principals are required to take Concert Choir; when space is not available, Women’s Chorale or an appropriate ensemble for male singers is to be substituted.
Music Theory and Literature Track
Select two upper-level courses in Music from the following:
- Applied Principal (4 Credit Hours, minimum)
- Class Piano OR Applied Secondary (2 Credit Hours, minimum) Continuous piano study required until the piano proficiency exam is passed.
- Ensemble Students pursuing the Music Theory and Literature track may use major ensemble as general electives once the required number of major ensemble credits have been completed. (4 Credit Hours, minimum).
**Additional courses in Music History, Literature or Theory will be offered from time to time and may be taken to meet this requirement.
Additional Required Credit Hours - 29 Credit Hours
This program must include a minor or an additional major.