Dec 08, 2023
141 Credit Hours
- Graduate from PBA’s Florida state-approved initial teacher preparation program
- Achieve passing scores on the General Knowledge (GK) Test, the Professional Education (Prof Ed) Test, and the Subject Area Examination (SAE) https://www.fldoe.org/teaching/certification/general-cert-requirements/
- Send your Official Transcript to the Florida Department of Education in Tallahassee
- Receive your letter of Eligibility from the Florida Department of Education
Program Learning Outcomes
“Expected student learning outcomes specify the knowledge, skills, values, and attitudes students are expected to attain in courses or in a program.” Page 69. Resource Manual for the Principles of Accreditation: Foundations for Quality Enhancement, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), 2018.
1. Develop future music educators who demonstrate knowledge of professional education practices.
2. Develop future music educators who demonstrate knowledge of music education practices.
3. Develop future music educators who demonstrate various teaching abilities/skills.
Conferral of a Baccalaureate degree in this program of study is determined by successful completion of the Baccalaureate Graduation Requirements outlined here .
NOTE: Students must earn 33 upper level (3000-4000) credit hours in order to graduate.
Visit this program’s information page for additional program-specific requirements.
Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) Requirements - 43 Credit Hours
Music majors must meet the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements as set out in the Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) Program . The Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) Fine Arts, Global Studies, Social Science and Science requirements are fulfilled through other courses in this major. Only 32 of the 43 credit hours of the Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) program will still be required for the completion of this program.
Music Education Major - 109 Credit Hours
Music Core - 17 Credit Hours
Music Education Courses - 36 Credit Hours
Performance Courses - 21 Credit Hours
- Applied Principal Area (7 Credit Hours)
- Class Piano or Applied Secondary Area (2 Credit Hours, minimum) Continuous piano study required until the piano proficiency exam is passed.
- Major Ensemble (7 Credit Hours, minimum) Oratorio Chorus, PBA Symphony, or Symphonic Band.
- Second Ensemble (5 Credit Hours, minimum) In addition to Oratorio Chorus, all Voice Principals are required to take Concert Choir; when space is not available, Women’s Chorale or an appropriate ensemble for male singers is to be substituted. In addition to PBA Symphony or Symphonic Band, all Instrument Principals are required to take an appropriate chamber music ensemble during 3 semesters of full-time enrollment. Instrument Principals must also take two semesters of Oratorio Chorus (one complete year). Keyboard Principals are required to take an appropriate combination of chamber ensembles. Music Education majors will normally not enroll in ensemble courses during the student teaching semester.
Professional Education Courses - 35 Credit Hours