Dec 08, 2023
120 Credit Hours
An interdisciplinary degree with music, biblical studies, and ministry studies included.
Program Learning Outcomes
“Expected student learning outcomes specify the knowledge, skills, values, and attitudes students are expected to attain in courses or in a program.” Page 69. Resource Manual for the Principles of Accreditation: Foundations for Quality Enhancement, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), 2018.
1. The student applies conventions of jazz and popular music theory.
2. The student improvises vocally or instrumentally using scales and methods appropriate to the musical genre or style.
3. The student demonstrates effective songwriting skills.
5. The student demonstrates the ability to create and perform a 45-minute concert in the popular music genre.
6. The student demonstrates the ability to create and lead a music worship service.
Conferral of a Baccalaureate degree in this program of study is determined by successful completion of the Baccalaureate Graduation Requirements outlined here .
NOTE: Students must earn 33 upper level (3000-4000) credit hours in order to graduate.
Visit this program’s information page for additional program-specific requirements.
Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) Requirements - 43 Credit Hours
Music majors must meet the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements (Bachelor’s Degrees) as set out in the Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) Program . The Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) Fine Arts, Global Studies, and Science requirements are fulfilled through another course in this major. Only 35 of the 43 credit hours of the Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) program will still be required for the completion of this program.
As part of the remaining 35 credit hours of Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) requirements, students must elect to complete MLS 4063 - Church in Society from the Social Science menu.
Music in Worship Leadership Major - 78 Credit Hours
Music Core - 17 Credit Hours
The Faith, Roots, and Reason (General Education) Fine Arts requirement is fulfilled through any 2 credit hours of MUS courses below.
Worship Leadership Courses - 21 Credit Hours
Performance Requirements- 18 Credit Hours
- Applied Principal 6 Credit Hours minimum
- Class Piano (Piano Proficiency Examination must be passed) OR Applied Secondary (2 Credit Hours minimum); piano principals would take two credit hours minimum of voice study.
- Ensemble 8 Credit Hours, minimum of popular music ensemble AND at least 2 credit hours of Oratorio Chorus or other approved advanced choral ensemble.
Biblical and Theological Studies - 12 Credit Hours
Ministry Leadership Studies - 10 Credit Hours
Additional Required Credit Hours - 7 Credit Hours
These additional hours may be fulfilled by a minor, second major, general electives taken concurrently, previous coursework taken at PBA or through transfer credits.