Sep 29, 2020
120 Credit Hours
*must include a minor or an additional major
Philosophy majors must successfully complete (with a grade of C or higher) all philosophy courses, general education courses and language courses along with any and all labs.
Program Learning Outcomes
“Expected student learning outcomes specify the knowledge, skills, values, and attitudes students are expected to attain in courses or in a program.” Page 69. Resource Manual for the Principles of Accreditation: Foundations for Quality Enhancement, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), 20
- Apply knowledge to actual situations.
- Break down ideas into simpler parts.
- Find evidence to support generalizations.
- Compile component ideas into a whole.
- Construct, critically evaluate, and defend arguments.
- Articulate their comprehension of primary source readings.
- Analyze first order predicate and propositional logic.
- Demonstrate fair-mindedness when comparing divergent philosophical outlooks.
- Adopt a personal stance toward a variety of truth claims.
- Think in depth about the life of faith.
General Education Requirements - 43 Credit Hours
Philosophy majors must meet the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements as set out in General Education Program .
One course must be selected from each of the following lists of Global Studies and Social Science courses.
- Global Studies Requirement: The Philosophy department suggests that philosophy majors take PHL 1053 - Asian Philosophy to satisfy the Global Studies requirement. (If taken to satisfy the Global Studies requirement, then it will not count toward PHL degree requirements.) Asian Philosophy is offered odd fall.
- Social Science Requirement: The Philosophy department suggests that philosophy majors take PHL 1103 - Foundations of Social Science to satisfy the Social Science requirement. (If taken to satisfy the Social Science requirement, then it may not count toward PHL degree requirements.) Foundations of Social Science is offered every spring.
Global Studies Menu Options - 3 Credit Hours
Social Science Menu Options - 3 Credit Hours
School of Arts and Sciences: Additional Natural Science Requirements - 5 Credit Hours
Five additional hours of natural science: 1 lab to accompany the course taken for general education [BIO 1043 , BIO 1023 , ESC 1043 , OCY 1043 , PHY 1033 or PHY 1063 ], and one additional natural science course and accompanying lab. The two natural sciences must be in different areas (both cannot be in biological sciences). In sum, you are required to take a minimum of 8 hours of natural science courses: two natural science courses (in two different areas) along with the labs associated with each. A course grade of C or higher is required.
Foreign Language Requirement
Philosophy majors are required to fulfill the Philosophy Department language requirement. Philosophy majors are required to complete two semesters of foreign language courses. Courses do not have to be in the same language but this is recommended. A course grade of C or higher is required. If a foreign language course is taken to fulfill the Global Studies requirement, then it may also count for meeting the Philosophy Department foreign language requirement. Students may take French, German, Greek, Hebrew, or Spanish. The language requirement should be completed prior to the senior year.
No CLEP, AP, IB or transient study credits may be used to fulfill this requirement. Students may take elementary or intermediate language courses or a combination of both.
Required Philosophy Courses
Students can earn a major in philosophy by taking a minimum of ten courses (30 credit hours) from those listed here:
Required Philosophy Courses - 9 Credit Hours
Required History of Philosophy Courses - 6 Credit Hours
Additional Requirement for all Philosophy majors - No Credit Hours
An undergraduate thesis of no less than 4,500 words must be submitted to Philosophy Department Chair during the 2nd semester of the junior year and defended prior to graduation. See Department Chair for further details.
Philosophy Electives - 15 Credit Hours
Select any 5 options from the following list with at least one of the five being a PHL course. .
*Additional Required - 34-37 Credit Hours
This meets the 120-credit-hour requirement and the 42-upper-level requirement.
Undergraduates who major in Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) are required to take multiple philosophy courses. PPE majors may count up to two of the following courses toward the requirements for a philosophy major or philosophy minor:
Undergraduates who major in Pre-Law are required to take multiple philosophy courses. Pre-Law majors may count up to two of the following courses toward a philosophy major or philosophy minor:
Undergraduates who major in Politics may count any two of the following courses toward a philosophy major or philosophy minor:
Undergraduates who major in History may count up to two of the following courses toward a philosophy major or philosophy minor:
Undergraduates in the School of Ministry who major in Biblical and Theological Studies, Cross Cultural Studies, or any concentration in Ministry may count the following courses toward a philosophy major or philosophy minor: