Jul 24, 2024  
Undergraduate Day Catalog 2013-2014 
Undergraduate Day Catalog 2013-2014 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Policies

Academic Policies and Definitions

Academic Integrity

Academic dishonesty includes, but is not limited to, cheating, plagiarism, fabrication and submission of work, all or any part of which was developed in response to the assignment of another professor or was created by a person other than the student submitting the assignment, or working collaboratively with another student but claiming an individual effort. More specifically, plagiarism is presenting words or ideas from another person or source as if they are your own. This includes neglecting to put quotation marks around direct quotes or failing to cite an idea or defining term or phraseology as coming from another person or source. This includes paraphrasing the words of another person or source without giving appropriate credit to them. Simply put, plagiarism is stealing the ideas or words of someone and presenting them as your own.

The Academy (the broad university community) views academic dishonesty as a serious academic offense and a failure of character and personal integrity. Due to the academic nature of the offense, Faculty, Academic Deans, and the Provost are responsible for determining an appropriate response within the following guidelines.

The faculty member is responsible for determining that a student has committed academic dishonesty.

For every instance of academic dishonesty, the student must receive a zero grade for the assignment and may receive additional penalties as outlined in the particular course syllabus.

For a second offense of academic dishonesty while enrolled at PBA, the student will incur additional sanctions:

  1. An administrative hold will be placed on the student’s record to prevent registering for future classes.
  2. The student will be notified through certified mail (with a copy by PBA email) that a second incident of academic dishonesty has been reported.
  3. The student will be required to meet with the Dean (or designee) of the school housing the course where the second offense has occurred. 
  4. The student must sign the Zero-Tolerance Letter of Agreement. This letter states that any further incidents of academic dishonesty will result in automatic suspension from PBA.
  5. The student must successfully complete the PBA online Plagiarism Remediation Workshop.
  6. Upon meeting with the dean, signing the Zero-Tolerance letter, and successfully completing the Plagiarism Remediation Workshop, PBA will release the Administrative hold and the student will be able to register for classes.

For a third offense of academic dishonesty while enrolled at PBA, the student will be suspended from PBA for one year.

  1. The exact dates of the suspension are established by the Registrar.
  2. The student will be able to apply for readmission to PBA, if he/she provides the evidence of remediation required by the Registrar in collaboration with the Dean of Students and the Superintending Dean.
  3. Readmission to the university or to the previous major is not automatic and is up to the discretion of the Registrar and the Dean of the major to which the student is applying.
  4. Re-admitted students are automatically placed on zero-tolerance for academic dishonesty and any further incidents will be cause for another suspension or expulsion from PBA.

Students who wish to appeal the third offense of academic dishonesty may file an academic complaint, and the matter will be treated within the established Academic Grievance Policy (see below). Any suspension remains in place until the grievance process is completed, even if this results in a missed semester of study. Students are responsible for any academic or financial repercussions.

Academic Honors

Graduation Honors

Associate of Arts in Pre-Engineering
Students earning a grade point average of 3.75 to 4.00 are graduated with honors. The requisite GPAs apply to the cumulative PBA grade point average. The student must have earned a minimum of 42 GPA credit hours at Palm Beach Atlantic.

Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Bachelor of Music, and Bachelor of General Studies Degrees
Students earning a grade point average of 3.75 to 3.81 are graduated cum laude; those earning a grade point average of 3.82 to 3.89 are graduated magna cum laude; and those with a grade point average of 3.9 or above are graduated summa cum laude. The requisite GPAs apply to the cumulative PBA grade point average. The student must have earned a minimum of 60 GPA credit hours at PBA.

Outstanding Graduate

To be eligible for an Outstanding Graduate Award, the student must have a minimum 3.5 GPA based on 60 credits or more earned at PBA.

Semester Honors

President’s List
The President’s List is made up of the names of those undergraduate students who achieve a grade point average of 4.00 while earning a minimum of 12 credit hours of course work in the fall or spring semesters. Students who have a failure (F), who have an incomplete grade (I), or who have a deferred grade (Y) are not eligible for the President’s List.

Provost’s List
At the end of each semester, the Provost’s List is published giving names of undergraduate students who achieve a 3.75 to 3.99 grade point average while earning a minimum of 12 credit hours of course work in the fall or spring semesters. Students who have a failure (F), who have an incomplete grade (I), or who have a deferred grade (Y) are not eligible for the Provost’s List.


A faculty advisor is assigned to each student to assist in planning his or her academic program and to offer personal guidance. The Office of the Registrar coordinates the assignment of academic advisors.


Students who are absent from classes for an extended time because of a medical reason or other emergency should notify their professors and the Student Success Center of the circumstances. Students are required to make up missed work. Neither a professor nor a representative in academic administration (Dean or Provost) may excuse a student from the ongoing work in the course. Makeup work is the responsibility of the student in every case. Certain schools have specific attendance policies affecting grades. Please refer to Enrollment Verification below regarding administrative changes to student schedule.

Auditing Classes

Qualified students who do not desire college credit may audit an undergraduate course with the consent of the professor and by paying the required audit fee. Auditing is permitted on a space-available basis. Students must register to audit a course by the add/drop deadline; changes from credit to audit after this deadline are not permitted. Under no circumstances will a student who has audited a course be permitted to take examinations or to pay the difference in tuition to receive credit for the course. Additional fees may apply to certain courses. Private music instruction as well as music and dance ensembles may not be audited.

Bankruptcy (Academic)

Currently-enrolled undergraduate students who are able to demonstrate that extreme personal or financial difficulties contributed to poor academic performance and who want an opportunity for a fresh start may apply for academic bankruptcy for coursework completed at PBA. Students may apply for one of two types of academic bankruptcy: (1) deletion of all prior course credits and GPA or (2) deletion of one semester of prior course credit and GPA. If academic bankruptcy is approved, all grades earned during the bankruptcy period will remain on the transcript with a notation that the student declared academic bankruptcy; however, credits attempted, credits earned, and quality points earned will not be included for this coursework. The appropriate form for requesting academic bankruptcy may be obtained in the Office of the Registrar. Academic bankruptcy may be granted only once and is not reversible.

Caution: Many colleges, universities, and other institutions, such as medical, law, or graduate schools, may not honor another institution’s academic bankruptcy policy.

Cancellation of Courses

The university reserves the right to cancel, postpone, limit registration, split or combine classes, and to change instructors and/or locations of classes due to insufficient registration or other valid administrative reasons. Register early to minimize the chances of your course being canceled. Most classes have enrollment limits to facilitate learning.

If your class is canceled, it is your responsibility to immediately contact either your faculty advisor or the department offering the course to select an alternate course. If a course is canceled by the university, your registration in that course will automatically be canceled and the change will be reflected on your semester schedule in myPBA. The Office of the Registrar will contact you via PBA e-mail if you are registered in a course that is canceled.

Chapel Requirements

All full-time undergraduate students enrolled in the traditional day programs are required to attend chapel. Students must accumulate a minimum of 24 chapel credits during each year of enrollment. Completion of the 24 chapel credits during the year is a prerequisite for continued enrollment and graduation from PBA.

Classification of Students

Classification of degree-seeking undergraduate students is determined by the number of semester credit hours earned. A student is considered a freshman upon entry into college and is classified as a freshman until 30 semester hours of degree coursework have been completed. A student is classified as a sophomore upon completion of 30 semester hours of degree credit; a junior upon completion of 60 hours; and a senior upon completion of 90 hours of degree credit.

Confidentiality of Student Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. Annually, Palm Beach Atlantic University informs students of these rights. A student’s rights are as follows:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the university receives a request for access. A student should submit to the Provost, Registrar, Dean of the appropriate school, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) he/she wishes to inspect. The university official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the university official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. A student may ask the university to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. He/she should write to the university official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the university decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the university will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his/her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally-identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the university has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his/her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his/her professional responsibilities. Upon request, the university discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the university to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is: Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue SW, Washington, D.C., 20202-4605.

Course Numbering System

*0-0999 Developmental courses.
1000-1999 Designed primarily for freshmen, but may be taken by all students.
2000-2999 Designed primarily for freshmen and sophomores, but may be taken by all students.
3000-3999 Designed for juniors and seniors.
4000-4999 Designed for juniors and seniors.
5000-6000 Graduate courses.

*Courses numbered below 1000 are taken as non-degree credit and will not count toward meeting the minimum degree requirement of 120 credit hours.

Note: The School of Pharmacy uses 1000-4000 course numbers to indicate the year in the program but all are in the professional division not the undergraduate division.

Credit Hours

Credits earned for each course are expressed as semester credit hours. The number of hours or credits earned will vary according to the specific course. Example: ENG 1123 is a writing course that meets three hours a week and carries three semester hours credit.

The following diagram illustrates how to read the course listings:


Directed Study

Under exceptional circumstances, an undergraduate student working individually with a faculty member may complete a course by Directed Study. A Directed or Independent Study is provided to augment or enrich a student’s learning experience by pursuing learning in a closely-supervised program. It is not designed to be the solution for schedule conflicts. A Directed Study fee of $250 per credit hour will be charged to the student over and above regular tuition, both on and off campus. Requests for fee exemptions require additional documentation as directed by the Office of the Provost. The Directed Study form is available in the Office of the Registrar.

Consideration of requests for Directed Study originates with the student and must be approved by the faculty member involved, the Dean(s) of the School(s), and the Provost of the university. Successful petitions must include a copy of the syllabus, which details the regular meetings of the student with the faculty member (a minimum of three hours weekly for a three-hour course), a significant writing component, and evidence that the course substantially provides the same learning experience as the traditional offering.

The following conditions apply: only two courses (6 credit hours) completed by Directed Study may apply toward a PBA degree; no more than 4 credit hours may be applied toward one project; a maximum of 4 credit hours of Directed or Independent Study may be taken during one academic term; and a Directed Study may not be employed to repeat a course in which a student has already received a grade of “D” or “F” (at PBA or at any other college). A student must have a GPA of 2.0 or higher and the course may not meet a General Education requirement.

Disclosure of Directory Information

At its discretion, the institution may provide Directory Information in accordance with the provisions of the Act to include: student name, address, telephone number, electronic mail address, photograph, grade level, enrollment status, date and place of birth, major/minor fields of study, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, previous educational agency or institution attended by the student, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and weight and height of members of athletic teams.

A student may withhold Directory Information by notifying the Office of the Registrar in writing within one week after the published beginning date for a given semester. Request for non-disclosure will be honored by the institution for only one academic year; therefore, authorization to withhold Directory Information must be filed annually. Palm Beach Atlantic University assumes that failure on the part of any student to specifically request the withholding of categories of Directory Information indicates individual approval for disclosure. Please consider very carefully the consequences of any decision to withhold any category of Directory Information. Should the student decide to inform the institution not to release any or all of this information, any future requests for such information from non-institutional persons or organizations will be refused, except as provided for in the Act. The institution will honor any student’s request to withhold this information but cannot assume responsibility to contact students for subsequent permission to release such information. Regardless of the effect upon the student, the institution assumes no liability for honoring the student’s instructions that such information be withheld.

Dual-College Enrollment

Only under exceptional conditions may a PBA student be concurrently enrolled at another college or university. The student must have permission for such dual enrollment from the Registrar.


The student should carefully select electives that complement the desired major. Electives may be chosen from any of the day undergraduate course offerings in the catalog provided the required prerequisites have been met. Students should choose electives consistent with the degree requirement that 42 credit hours must be in courses numbered 3000 or above.

Enrollment Verification

Attendance during the first week of the semester is critical. A student who fails to attend classes in the first two weeks of the semester will be dropped from the class(es) by the Office of the Registrar for non-attendance. Failure to attend in week one or two in subterm B will result in withdraw from classes.

Failed Course Policy

Students are permitted to repeat a failed course only one time. If a student fails a course twice, they will not be permitted to enroll in the course again. Under special circumstances, the Dean of the School and the Provost may grant an exception to this policy. Failure of a course is defined as unsuccessful completion of a course within the student’s major, general education requirements, and concentration or minor. The criteria for failure in specific courses within the major, concentrations, and minors are listed in the Programs of Study chapter of this catalog.

First-Year Student Requirements

Meeting the General Education Program Requirement in Mathematics

All full-time students should complete MAT 1803  or higher during the freshman year with the following exceptions:

  1. Students whose academic preparation or whose ACT or SAT scores indicate a need for placement in a lower-level mathematics course must begin in their first semester with the appropriate course and continue in consecutive semesters. A student enrolled in MAT 0993  may not drop or withdraw from the course.
  2. Students who place higher than College Algebra (MAT 1853 ) may defer the option of taking a mathematics course until after their freshman year, unless their program requires more than one mathematics course.
  3. Music majors complete this requirement on a different schedule.

Meeting the General Education Program Requirement in Writing

All full-time students must complete English Composition I (ENG 1113 ), English Composition II (ENG 1123 ), and Public Speaking (ENG 1113 ) by the end of the freshman year (or as soon as possible, thereafter, if the student must repeat the course(s) due to failure to make the minimum required grade of “C-” in ENG 1113 , and ENG 1123 , or if they are enrolled in a lower-level English course). A student enrolled in ENG 1113  may not drop or withdraw from the course.

Full-time Student

An undergraduate student who carries a load of 12 semester hours is considered to be a full-time student. Fifteen semester credit hours are considered to be a normal class load. Permission from the Office of the Registrar must be secured to register for more than 18 credit hours. Under normal circumstances a student may not take more than 21 credit hours in any one semester, inclusive of academic work completed both at PBA and at any other college or university in which the student may be concurrently enrolled. The maximum load a student in the undergraduate day program may carry during a summer term is 9 credit hours.

Good Standing (Academic)

A student is in academic good standing only if his or her PBA cumulative grade point average (PBA GPA) is a 2.0 or higher (see Standards of Academic Progress). A student must be in academic good standing in order to represent PBA in extracurricular activities.

Independent Study

An Independent Study is designated within a discipline by the course number 4811-4816 and involves a student-proposed project requiring supervised research and writing within a major or minor. An Independent Study fee of $250 per credit hour will be charged to the student over and above regular tuition, both on and off campus. Requests for fee exemptions require additional documentation as directed by the Office of the Provost. Consideration of requests for such independent study originates with the student and must be approved by the faculty member involved, the Dean(s) of the School(s), and the Provost of the university. Successful petitions must include a copy of the syllabus and/or learning contract, which detail a significant research and writing component. The Independent Study form is available in the Office of the Registrar.

Leave of Absence

The university understands some students may need to leave school for some period of time. The policies and procedures below describe the circumstances under which a student may leave and return to the university.

  1. Eligibility and Procedure: A student who has completed at least one semester of study at PBA may petition the Registrar for a leave of absence. The petition must be in writing, must be signed by the student, and must set forth the circumstances of the request and the length of the requested leave. Students are not eligible for a leave of absence during their first semester at PBA. Unless a student is called to active military service, a request for a leave of absence typically will not be considered during the last week of classes or during the examination period.
  2. Circumstances for Leave: The petition for leave of absence may be granted, granted with conditions, or denied. Approval will be granted only in circumstances of extraordinary hardship, including, but not limited to, sustained illness of the student or a person in the student’s immediate family and for whom the student will serve as caregiver, call to military service, or selection for extended jury duty. 
  3. Time of Leave: To be eligible for a leave of absence, the student must intend return to the university within the stated period, which typically should not exceed 180 days during any 12-month period. If the requested leave exceeds 180 days during any 12-month period, the Registrar will forward the petition to the Council of Deans. If the student does not return within the approved period, he or she will be considered as withdrawn and risks having to reapply for admission as a new student. In addition, if a student has been granted one leave of absence, any subsequent leave must be approved by the Council of Deans. Unless granted an exception by the Council of Deans, a full-time or part-time student must complete all degree requirements within eight calendar years, counting all periods of leave or withdrawal. 
  4. Approval: If the petition is granted, the Registrar will respond in writing and will set forth the period of the approved leave and any conditions associated with the leave. In the Registrar’s absence, the Provost may grant the leave. A copy of this approval letter will be placed in the student’s file in the Office of the Registrar. 
  5. Matriculation at Another School: If the petition is granted, the student may not enroll as a degree candidate at another institution. If a student enrolls as a degree candidate at another school, the leave of absence will be converted to a withdrawal. A student may enroll as a non-degree seeking student only with the permission of the Registrar. Coursework at another institution will be considered Transient Study and will be limited to 9 credit hours.
  6. Returning to School: At least four weeks before the end of the granted leave, or when otherwise requested, the student must submit a letter to the Registrar indicating his or her intent to return to school. If the student fails to submit a letter or goes beyond the time of the granted leave, the student will not be able to return automatically. Instead, the student must petition the Admissions Review Board and request to be readmitted. The Registrar or Admissions Review Board may require documents, such as a doctor’s note, that reflect that the student has met stated conditions of the leave and/or is ready and able to return to school.
  7. No Residency: The period of the leave of absence may not be counted as part of the time needed for residency or for other degree requirements.
  8. Tuition and Financial Responsibility: Normal rules regarding the refunding of tuition typically will apply if the student is granted a mid-semester leave of absence. In addition, students should understand that funds that might be returned to a lender are still due and owing to the university. However, the university will refund tuition for students called to active military service. 
  9. Financial Aid: Please contact a Financial Aid counselor to determine how a leave of absence and/or failure to return after a leave may impact your financial aid package and repayment obligations.
  10. Transcript: A student who is granted a leave of absence after the add/drop period in a semester in which the student is enrolled will receive “W” grades on his or her transcript. The transcript also will contain the notation “Leave of Absence.”

Non-Traditional Credit

For the student enrolled in one of the undergraduate day programs, the aggregate of credit earned by examination may not exceed 32 semester hours, excluding International Baccalaureate Credit.

Credit By Examination

Advanced Placement of College Entrance Examination Board (AP) - Students submitting a score of 3 or higher on AP exams will be awarded credit-by-exam credits toward equivalent PBA courses. The American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations will be followed.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) - Students submitting a score of 50 or higher on CLEP exams will be awarded credit based on ACE recommendations. Note: Foreign language exams have higher scoring requirements. Credit may be earned any time before registering for the equivalent PBA course, except no CLEP credit may be earned during the student’s last 32 semester credit hours. CLEP is not permitted for Humanities courses (HUM 1013 , HUM 1023 , HUM 1033 ), which must be taken at PBA.

International Baccalaureate Examinations (IB) - PBA grants course credit for International Baccalaureate proficiency (up to a maximum of 60 semester hours of combined CLEP, AP, and IB credit). The credit awarded follows ACE guidelines.

Other Examinations - PBA may grant course credit for subject-area examinations such as DSST (formerly known as DANTES Subject Standardized Tests), Excelsior College (formerly known as Regents College Exams or the Proficiency Examination Program), UEXCEL and Cambridge AICE, if the student proves to be proficient. Credit awarded follows the ACE guidelines.

Obtaining a Second Bachelor’s Degree

A student who has received a baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited institution may complete a second baccalaureate degree at PBA. It is not generally in the best interest of a student to complete a second bachelor’s degree. When a student chooses to do so, the following information is pertinent:

  1. The student must earn a minimum of 32 credit hours beyond the first degree at PBA. 
  2. The student must complete the specific requirements of the declared major, including those within the department of instruction and any allied courses.
  3. The student must complete any specialized general education requirements associated with the degree sought, including Exploring the Bible, Christian Values and Biblical Faith, and Freedom in American Society (BIB 1003 , BIB 4153 , PLS 3003 , as applicable).
  4. Two-thirds of the major courses within the second baccalaureate degree program must be completed at PBA. 
  5. The last 32 hours of the second baccalaureate degree program must be completed at PBA.

Note: The completion of two or more majors, or other degree requirements, in the course of completing the first bachelor’s degree should not be confused or equated with the completion of two baccalaureate degrees. Graduates of PBA wishing to obtain a second bachelor’s degree must apply for readmission through the Office of the Registrar.

Student Identification Card (ID)

All students are required to have a validated student identification card prior to attending classes. ID cards must be obtained and validated by PBA Card Office.

Transfer Credit

The number of transfer credits allowed will depend upon the standing of the institution(s) attended, the nature of the courses taken, and the grades earned. PBA declines to accept transfer credit of a grade lower than a “C-” (exception to this policy provided for in The Independent Colleges and Universities of Florida Community College Articulation Agreement Manual). Only credits from institutions with accreditations recognized by the Department of Education are transferable to PBA. Coursework from non-accredited institutions will not transfer.

Any student who has completed an Associate of Arts degree* from a community college is guaranteed:

  1. Junior standing with the application of a minimum of 60 credit hours toward the Baccalaureate degree; and,
  2. Recognition of completion of the General Education requirements, excluding the Biblical Studies component and Freedom in American Society.
    • The following schools have additional natural science requirements: The School of Arts and Sciences, the School of Communication and Media, the School of Education, the School of Ministry, the School of Nursing, and the School of Pharmacy’s Pre-Pharmacy program. Please refer to the specific majors within these schools in the Programs of Study . The Pre-Pharmacy course requirements can be found in the Undergraduate Pre-Pharmacy Program section above.

Credit will be awarded for a course(s) completed at an institution that is deemed degree-granting by a post-secondary regional accrediting commission, at the time the coursework was completed, if the student has earned a grade of “C-” or better. Grades for transferred courses do not count in the PBA cumulative GPA. A student presenting accredited transfer credit from an institution that was not accredited as degree-granting by a post-secondary regional accrediting commission at the time the coursework was completed may seek credit validation upon the successful completion of 30 credit hours at PBA (with a 2.0 PBA cumulative GPA or higher). For planning purposes, an unofficial evaluation of credit will be provided. Only courses for which a grade of “C-” or better has been earned will be considered. Upon the completion of the residency requirement and satisfaction of the academic progress requirement, the unofficial evaluation will be validated, and the courses will transfer as noted on the official evaluation. The student must submit written notification to the Office of the Registrar upon successful completion of the residency requirement.

A maximum of 67 semester hours of credit may be transferred from all two-year or community colleges.** The last 32 hours of credit must be earned at PBA. Each transfer student must take at least one-third* of the required courses in the major(s) and/or minor(s) at PBA. A student may not receive upper-level credit at PBA for a course completed elsewhere for lower-level credit.

Foreign Language Credits: Credit hours vary based on major/minor requirements. Exceptions apply for the French  and Spanish  minors. Please refer to the Programs of Study  for details.

Global Studies and Social Science General Credits: The Dean of the discipline for which the transfer is sought, in consultation with the Registrar, will approve/not approve a transfer course from another academic institution to meet PBA’s requirement for a Global Studies Elective or a Social Science Elective. The proposed transfer course should be comparable to, though not an exact equivalent of, an approved PBA Global Studies or Social Science Elective selected for the particular major. Among the factors which may be considered are learning outcomes and an appropriate integration of faith and learning. Transient credit will not be approved to satisfy Global Studies or Social Science electives.

Natural Science and Technology Credits: Natural Science and Technology courses completed more than 5 years prior to enrolling at PBA will not be accepted for transfer credit toward a major or minor. Natural Science and Technology courses may be counted toward General Education credits up to 7 years after completion.

*Does not apply to Associate of Arts degrees from a community college conferred before November 1992.

**The School of Ministry applies more stringent transfer standards for courses within the major field of study. School of Ministry majors should refer to the Programs of Study  for school-specific transfer policies.

Transient Credit (PBA Students)

After initial enrollment in Palm Beach Atlantic University, it is to be assumed that the student will complete his/her courses at the university. However, in unusual circumstances, and at the appropriate Dean’s discretion, a student with fewer than 68 credits may seek approval for up to a maximum of 9 credit hours of courses to be taken at another institution for transient study credit. No course may be requested to be taken as transient study if: 1) it has been taken at PBA previously (including those courses in which a student has received a grade of W, D, or F); or 2) the course is being offered online at PBA during the semester or term that the student would like to enroll for transient study. Transient study will not be approved for the following PBA General Education Program courses: Composition I, Composition II, Humanities I, Humanities II, Humanities III, Global Studies Electives, Social Science Electives, Exploring the Bible, Freedom in American Society, and Christian Values and Biblical Faith.*

The student must complete an Application for Transient Study form, which can be obtained in the Office of the Registrar. Students must apply by the following dates:

  • May 15th for transient study in the Fall semester
  • December 10th for transient study in the Spring semester
  • Last day of Spring semester final exams for transient study in the summer semester

It is the student’s responsibility to insure that the transcript for transient study is sent to PBA. Palm Beach Atlantic University awards no credit for transient study that has not been placed on the student’s official transcript by the end of the student’s first semester on campus following the completion of the transient work. No credit will be awarded for transient study attempted without advance approval of the Application for Transient Study. Grades earned in transient study do not count toward the PBA cumulative GPA.

*Based on the discretion of the appropriate Dean, transient study requests may not be granted for general elective credit hours.

Workship Requirements

Workship is a distinctive program that encourages students to make a Christian response to human needs through service in nonprofit agencies, churches, and schools outside the university community. Students may select from opportunities offered by the school or define their own unique places of service in consultation with Workship staff. All undergraduate students enrolled in the traditional day programs participate in Workship and must complete 45 clock hours of service for each year they are enrolled. For additional information see The Navigator.

Evaluation and Grading Policies

Calculating the Grade Point Average (GPA)

A student’s grade point average may be calculated by:

  1. Multiplying the credit hours by the quality points earned for each course according to the letter grade assigned (see chart below);
  2. Totaling all quality points earned; and
  3. Dividing the quality points by the number of credit hours earned.
  4. 36 total quality points divided by 12 total earned credit hours = 3.00 GPA
(1) Credit Hours   Grade Quality   (2) Total Points
3 x A 4 = 12
2 x B 3 = 6
3 x C 2 = 6
4 x B 3 = 12

Quality Points

Grade Symbol Quality Points Earned*
A 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.00
D- 0.67
F 0.00

*Quality Points are earned for each credit hour.

Grade Forgiveness

Grade Forgiveness permits undergraduate students to repeat a course and have the repeated grade and hours earned computed into his/her GPA in place of the original grade and hours earned. An undergraduate student who earns a “B” grade (B+, B, B-) or a “C” grade (C+, C, C-) in a course will not be permitted to repeat the course to raise the grade. A student who receives a grade lower than a “C-” will be permitted to repeat the course to raise the GPA by earning a higher grade. The repetition of any course must be accomplished by taking the same course at PBA. A Directed Study may not be employed to repeat a course for grade forgiveness. A student may not repeat a course after he or she has graduated.

Grade Reports

Mid-term: Faculty instructing undergraduate traditional day program students report deficiencies at mid-term. Deficient grades are “D,” “F,” and “I.” The “I” or incomplete is given to a student who has not completed sufficient work in the course to justify a passing grade but has not failed work that has been evaluated. Deficiencies are available to advise students whose work, at the mid-point of the semester, indicates a lessened prospect for a satisfactory grade. For Honors students enrolled in HON or Honors credit courses, deficiencies also include grades of “C.”

Final: Within one week after the end of the academic semester, electronic grades are available to each student who has been enrolled that semester. Printed grades may be requested via written request to the Office of the Registrar. An e-mail from the student’s PBA e-mail address to registrar@pba.edu is acceptable.

At PBA, undergraduate grades are indicated by the following symbols:

Grade Symbol Definition
A Represents the highest academic achievement and application of ability.
B Represents achievement of a high but second order.
C Is the grade given to the student who shows average application of ability or attains an average achievement.
D Is the grade given to a student whose work is below average. A grade of “D” is not acceptable in the student’s major(s) and/or minor(s) and must be repeated for a satisfactory grade. A student may retake (at PBA) courses for which he or she has a grade of “D.” Only the higher grade will be computed in the GPA.
F Indicates failure. Students who officially withdraw from university during the last five weeks of any semester will be assigned a grade of “F” for each course. If an “F” is given as a final grade, the student must repeat the entire course and earn a passing grade to receive credit.
I Incomplete. Indicates an unavoidable absence from a final examination or an excusable failure to complete assignments. The instructor submits an “I” form to the Registrar’s Office. When the student completes the course requirements, the instructor will change the “I” to the grade earned by the student. An “I” automatically becomes an “F” if it is not removed one month after the end of the semester or term in which the incomplete was granted.
W Indicates that the student filed with the Office of the Registrar the necessary forms for withdrawal before the beginning of the academic penalty period. The student’s last date of attendance must be on or before the advertised date.
P/F Pass-Fail credit. In a non-credit course graded on the pass-fail basis, the student’s grade shall be designated “pass” or “fail.” A grade of “P” or “F” is not included in the student’s grade point average.
Y Signifies that the grade has been deferred for one semester because the requirement was not competed satisfactorily. A grade of “Y” is not included in the student’s grade point average. It is the intent that a grade of “Y” be assigned only for those courses which may be completed during the fall and spring semesters (specifically: Chapel, Workship, English Composition, Recitals, Recital Attendance, and Piano Proficiencies).

Grading Policy

Each faculty member has the responsibility and authority to establish his or her own grading policy and to provide it, in print, with the course syllabus.


The official academic record for each student is maintained by the Office of the Registrar. A student has access to the record during normal office hours. A student may receive copies of the transcript for personal use or may request the transcript be mailed. Such requests must be made online through the National Student Clearinghouse or in person at Sailfish Services. A transcript will not be released if the student’s account with the university is delinquent.

Grievance Policy (Academic Complaint)

An academic complaint refers to the grievance a student may have concerning faculty evaluation of his or her academic performance represented in the final grade for a course, OR a professor’s assessment of academic dishonesty. The following procedure must be followed in filing a grievance: 

  1. Final Grades: Issues concerning individual assignments, examinations, and other graded work during the course may only be appealed to the professor; a student may not use this policy for appeal until a final grade has been assigned for the course. To appeal a final grade, the student must take the matter to the faculty member, in writing, and within the first ten working days of the next regular semester (fall, spring or summer) or subterm following the completion of the course. (If the faculty member is no longer employed by the university or is unavailable, the student should go directly to the Dean of the School in which the professor taught.) 
  2. Academic Dishonesty: To appeal an academic dishonesty judgment, the student must take the matter to the faculty member, in writing, within five working days of being notified of the judgment.
  3. The Faculty Member will respond to the student within two weeks of the student’s notification of grievance.
  4. The student may appeal the case to the Dean, by completing the appeal application and submitting it to the Dean, only after conversation with the professor in resolving the complaint proves to be unsatisfactory to the student. This appeal to the Dean must be done within ten working days of the response from the faculty member. The written justification for appeal must identify the issues, with all substantiating documents attached. If needed, the Dean may arrange a conference with the student and the faculty member together or separately. (Neither the student nor the faculty member will be allowed representation at the conference.) The Dean will keep a written record of the proceedings and will denote his or her decision on the application for appeal and return it to the student within ten working days. 
  5. If the original appeal involves the Dean as the professor of record, the Provost will appoint another dean to review the appeal.
  6. If, after the Dean has made the decision on the appeal, the student is not satisfied with the outcome, he or she may appeal to the Council of Deans through the Office of the Provost. The only justifications for appeal to the Council of Deans are (1) a procedural violation or (2) proof of unfairness by the Dean in the decision on the original appeal to the professor. Simple disagreement with the decision is not sufficient grounds for appeal. This application for appeal must be submitted within ten working days of the response from the Dean and must be submitted to the Office of the Provost.
  7. This appeal will be reviewed by the Appeals Committee of the Council of the Deans (which consists of three people who are appointed from the members of the Council of Deans for a one year term by the Provost) to determine the merit of the case. If the Appeals Committee determines that the case is non-viable, the decision is final and there is no further appeal. If the committee determines there is compelling evidence to proceed with the case, such appeal will be heard at a regularly scheduled meeting of the Council of Deans which falls in the following calendar month. The Executive Assistant to the Provost will provide the student with the date of the Council of Deans meeting.
  8. The Council must be supplied with the completed application for appeal, a written summary of the complaint, and all substantiating documents relating to the case, including the original appeal to the Dean. The only evidence admissible is that which has previously been presented to the Dean, with the exception of evidence related to procedural violation or unfairness by the Dean. The Dean to whom the complaint was submitted also will provide a summary account of his or her conclusions and recommendations at least ten working days prior to the scheduled appeal, along with any substantiating documents. The Executive Assistant to the Provost is responsible for gathering these materials and for making them available to all parties for review prior to the meeting. 
  9. Both the student and the faculty member will be afforded the opportunity to present their cases to the Council. Communication to the Council during its deliberations is the responsibility of each party in the complaint. The presence of the student and of the faculty member is only for fact-finding. Deliberations based upon these presentations and the written records of the case are kept strictly confidential and are open only to Council members.
  10. The Provost and any member of the Council who is a party to the complaint or who feels that past experience or relationship with individuals involved prejudices an objective review of the case are excluded from the final decision. 
  11. As chair of the Council, the Provost will communicate the Council’s findings in writing to the student and faculty member within ten working days of deliberations.
  12. The Office of the Provost is responsible for enforcing the decision of the Council of Deans. The conclusions and recommendations of the Council are final and binding upon the parties to the complaint. No further appeal may ensue.

Major, Minor and Concentration Requirements

For most degree programs, students select one major and one minor OR two major fields of study. Under option one, the major and minor may not be in the same discipline. Specific requirements for majors and minors are listed at the beginning of the course descriptions for the departments of instruction.

Some departments offer concentrations or specializations that may be employed to complete the minor requirement but may be open only to students who have completed particular major fields of study. A student should consult the catalog or his or her faculty advisor regarding the viability of selecting a concentration or specialization to fulfill the minor requirement.

Students must declare the major(s) and minor fields selected upon the completion of 60 credit hours. Courses in which grades below “C-” have been earned are not acceptable toward either a major or minor.

Double Major

Coursework taken for one major may not count toward a second major.


A minor area of study must be comprised of no fewer than 15 semester hours. Coursework taken for the minor may not count for any other major or minor. This does not apply to Biology majors seeking a Chemistry minor, since some graduate and professional programs suggest this combination.

Interdisciplinary Studies

Interdisciplinary Major

In lieu of a specific program listed in the catalog, a student may elect a student-designed interdisciplinary major. Such programs of study composed of courses selected from the curricula of two or more departments of instruction may require no fewer than 50 semester hours and no more than 63 semester hours; 42 hours must be at upper-level designation. Interdisciplinary majors do not require completion of a minor field of study. A total of at least 75 credit hours must be taken at PBA, inclusive of the courses in the interdisciplinary major.

The proposal must be approved prior to the end of the student’s first semester as a junior. A grade point average of 3.0 or higher and a narrative justification for the inclusion of courses from two or more departments of instruction are required.

Interdisciplinary Minor

Also, in lieu of a minor in a specific program listed in the catalog, a student may elect a student-designed Minor in Interdisciplinary Studies. Such a minor will be composed of courses from at least two different departments. The following regulations apply:

  1. In order to allow both breadth and depth, such a minor requires a minimum of 20 credit hours.
  2. A Minor in Interdisciplinary Studies must be created and approved in advance of taking the majority of the courses, so that it is a planned coherent program of study and not just a collection of courses gathered together at the last minute. In the process of designing the minor, the student must submit a rationale for the minor along with the list of courses to be taken. 
  3. To assure coherency, relevancy, and academic integrity, the student must obtain, at a minimum, the approval of the student’s advisor, major department, and Dean of the School in which the student’s major resides. If deemed necessary by the Dean, he/she may request input from other departments and schools.

Procedure for Gaining Approval

The student must complete an Interdisciplinary Studies Request form available on myPBA or in the Office of the Registrar. The student and department representative(s) develop the proposed curriculum for the Interdisciplinary Major or Minor. Upon approval of the departments represented and the Dean(s) of the School(s), the student must submit the request form with the proposed interdisciplinary curriculum to the Office of the Registrar. The Registrar determines whether the plan conforms to graduation requirements. After receiving approval from the Office of the Registrar, the student may submit the proposed plan to the Office of the Provost for final approval.

Selection of Catalog for Determining Degree Requirements

An undergraduate student in attendance at Palm Beach Atlantic University may elect to meet the graduation requirements in effect at Palm Beach Atlantic University either at the time the student began attending (catalog at first registration), when he/she officially changes his/her major and submits a Declaration or Change of Major/Minor form to the Office of the Registrar, or the requirements outlined at the year of graduation (current catalog). Students may elect a newly-created major at any point in their attendance at Palm Beach Atlantic University. It is the responsibility of the student to notify the Office of the Registrar of changes to his/ her degree program or catalog year via the Declaration or Change of Major/Minor form. The catalog year for a minor will be determined by the student’s academic advisor and noted on the Declaration/Change in Major or Minor form submitted to the Registrar.

Students enrolled prior to the 2008-2009 academic year requesting a change of major will be permitted to graduate under the pre-2008 General Education Program (formerly Unified Studies Program).

Substitutions for discontinued courses may be authorized or required by the major department or appropriate school. A student has seven years from the date of his or her first registration at Palm Beach Atlantic University to complete his or her degree under the catalog in effect at the date of first registration. Students who continue in attendance beyond the seventh year may elect to meet the graduation requirements of the catalog in effect in the eighth year of attendance or the catalog in effect at the year of graduation.

“In attendance” is defined as enrollment in at least 12 credit hours for one semester within a 12-month period. An approved leave of absence shall not be considered an interruption in attendance. If a student is not in attendance for more than two consecutive semesters and, then, re-enters the university, the student is subject to the graduation requirements at the time of re-entering.

Readmission to the University

A student who wishes to return to PBA must file an Application for Readmission with the Office of the Registrar in the following cases:

  • After withdrawal from all courses in a semester;
  • After non-enrollment for at least one semester;
  • After suspension or dismissal;
  • After completion of a degree program.

If the student has attended any post-secondary institutions since his or her last enrollment at PBA, official transcripts must accompany the Application for Readmission. All college or university transcripts must be received and evaluated by the university before a student will be considered for a financial aid award. The student is notified in writing of approval or disapproval for readmission. A student who has a delinquent account with the university will not be approved for readmission until the Business Office has cleared the account. Furthermore, readmission does not automatically reinstate financial aid. A student must re-apply for aid and confer with a financial aid counselor regarding his or her status. Students, who drop out of the university for only one Fall or Spring semester may, upon their return, continue under the catalog in effect at the time of their original matriculation. After an absence of two semesters, a student must return under the catalog in effect at the time of his or her readmission.

Students who have incomplete records at the beginning of the semester may be admitted on a provisional basis pending receipt by the university of all transcripts and/or other credentials. It is the applicant’s responsibility to have these documents supplied to the Office of the Registrar. Until these documents are received, the applicant will not be allowed to register for classes for the following semester. The release of PBA transcripts will not be permitted.

The university assumes no responsibility for the status of provisionally-admitted students, since the university has not been able to make a determination of eligibility. The university agrees to extend provisional admission based upon the applicant’s representation that he or she has the requisite qualifications for admission. Upon completion of the applicant’s file, if it should be determined that the applicant was not eligible to enroll, he or she will be withdrawn immediately.

If the student is withdrawn for one of the aforementioned reasons, a refund of tuition, if any is due, will be determined in accordance with the existing policy as recorded in the current catalog.

Change of Program

A student who wishes to return to PBA and pursue a program - from evening to day, or from day to evening - other than the program for which they were last enrolled, must obtain and complete a Change of Major/Minor form which is available in the Office of the Registrar or on myPBA after being approved for readmission. Students in the undergraduate day program must select from programs of study and courses as outlined in the Undergraduate Day Catalog in effect at PBA either at the time the student began attending (catalog at first registration), when he or she officially changes his or her major and submits a Declaration or Change of Major/Minor form to the Office of the Registrar, or the requirements outlined at the year of graduation (current catalog). If a student intends to pursue a different degree program - from undergraduate to graduate, or graduate to undergraduate, he or she must submit a new Application for Admission through the Office of Admissions.

Registration and Changes in Registration

No student shall be permitted to enroll in any course later than one week after the first day of classes in any given semester; this includes courses scheduled to begin during subterm B. All changes in schedules shall be made during the same one-week period.

It is the responsibility of the student to make any necessary changes to his or her schedule via myPBA, with an advisor, or in the Office of the Registrar. Changes in registration may affect charges and financial aid awards. Please refer to Enrollment Verification regarding administrative changes to a student’s schedule.

Any student who has not registered for any course before August 1st for the fall semester and December 20th for the spring semester will be charged a late registration fee of $250.


This refers to course changes in a schedule that may occur during the first week of the semester. No student shall be permitted to add or drop any course later than the published add/drop date. Exceptions to this policy require written justification and will incur a $250 late registration fee.

  1. If credit hours are increased, additional tuition and fees (if any) may be charged; if credit hours are reduced, tuition and fees may be appropriately adjusted by the Business Office. Financial Aid adjustments may result. 
  2. Each change in schedule is considered a separate transaction, and previous transactions will have no bearing on the calculation of charges.
  3. The last date for adding or dropping a course is specified in the academic calendar.

Course Withdrawal

This is a change in a student’s schedule, after the add/drop period, that does not involve a complete withdrawal from the university.

  • A student may withdraw from a course without academic penalty on or before the published withdrawal date set in the academic calendar. This action does not take precedence over the issuance of a grade related to academic dishonesty. A grade of “W” retains fee liability for the course and does not affect financial aid eligibility for the current semester; however, future aid may be affected. The course will remain on the transcript. 
  • If a student withdraws from a semester course during the last five weeks of fall or spring semester, a grade of “F” will be assigned. If a student withdraws from a subterm course after the third week of class meetings in fall, spring, or summer semester, a grade of “F” will be assigned.
  • Withdrawn courses are fee liable.

Standards of Academic Progress

Probation And Suspension (Academic Discipline)

The record of each student may be reviewed by the Registrar at the end of each semester or at any other time that such a review seems warranted. In order to avoid academic discipline, a student must maintain a PBA cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher.

Good Standing

A student is in good academic standing with a cumulative 2.0 GPA.

Academic Warning (Below 2.0)

A student will be placed on Academic Warning at the end of the first term in which he/she does not meet a cumulative 2.0 GPA.

Academic Probation (Below 2.0 For The Second Semester)

A student will be placed on Academic Probation at the end of a term if, after being placed on Academic Warning, he/she does not meet the cumulative 2.0 GPA. *

Academic Suspension (Below 2.0 For The Third Semester)

A student will be placed on a one-semester Academic Suspension at the end of a term if, after being placed on Academic Probation, he/she still does not meet the cumulative 2.0 GPA.* After the period of suspension, the student may apply for readmission through the Office of the Registrar. It is within the discretion of University officials to approve or deny readmission after suspension. If readmission is approved, the student is permitted one semester to raise the GPA to the satisfactory level. If after the semester of return to PBA, or after any subsequent semester, the student’s cumulative GPA is below 2.0, the student will be suspended and may not apply for readmission.

* PBA scholarships may be impacted. Please see Institutional Scholarships on the Financial Aid  page.

Withdrawal from the University

Official withdrawal from the university during a semester requires that the student:

  1. Obtain a Withdrawal from University form from the Office of the Registrar, or submit a letter with an official signature requesting withdrawal. When submitting a withdrawal letter, you are required to notify the following PBA offices: Registrar, Student Accounts, Financial Aid, Workship, Chapel, and Residence Life (if applicable).
  2. Supply all necessary information on the Withdrawal from University form, including securing the required signatures.
  3. Submit the completed form to the Office of the Registrar. The date of withdrawal will be the last date of attendance in any enrolled course. Dropping all classes does not constitute an official withdrawal. The grade of “W” will be assigned to courses of students who last attended prior to the last date to withdraw from a semester class without academic penalty. If a student withdraws from university during the last five weeks of a semester course, a grade of “F” will be assigned to courses. This includes withdrawal due to suspension and/or expulsion. A student who completes his or her semester and does not return for the next semester is considered to be a non-returning student, not a withdrawal.

Approved Medical Withdrawal

Approved Medical Withdrawals provide students with a withdrawal date to be set for one week prior to their last date of attendance. Without an Approved Medical Withdrawal (per the Withdrawal from the University policy), the last date of attendance is the recorded withdrawal date and the standard fee schedules apply. All Approved Medical Withdrawals are recorded as a “W” on your academic record. When a student withdraws from the University, the student forfeits his or her rights and privileges as a student, including the use of all PBA facilities. Therefore, he or she will be required to immediately turn in their PBACard and key to Campus Safety, Sailfish Services, or Residential Life.

Approved Medical Withdrawal Procedure

  1. Student must submit a written request for medical withdrawal to the Director of Health and Wellness. Qualified requests will include documentation of medical or psychological necessity to withdraw from academic coursework, which must be submitted to the Health and Wellness Office within 10 days of last date of  attendance.

    Contact information for the Health and Wellness Office:

    Attn: Health and Wellness Office
    Palm Beach Atlantic University,
    901 South Flagler Dr.
    West Palm Beach, FL 33401
    Phone: 561.803.2576
    Fax: 561.803.2519

  2. Upon receipt of a written request and supporting documentation, the Health and Wellness Office will review the Approved Medical Withdrawal request. The Health and Wellness Office will notify the student and the Registrar’s Office of the decision within ten (10) days of receiving the medical withdrawal request along with supporting documentation.
  3. Prior to receiving approval to return to academic work, all students requesting an Approved Medical Withdrawal must complete an online Application for Readmission and contact the Health and Wellness Office.

Approved Medical Withdrawal Re-enrollment Procedure

Each medical re-enrollment clearance is case-specific and will focus on reviewing the student’s ability to safely return to their previous academic status. Prior to returning to academic work at PBA, and to ensure the safety of all students, any student with an Approved Medical Withdrawal during a specified PBA academic term must: 

  1. Complete an online Application for Readmission. Refer to Readmission to the University.
  2. Meet all university and re-enrollment requirements, including the removal of any university holds. 
  3. Receive medical clearance from the Health and Wellness Office.
  4. Receive registration clearance from the Office of the Registrar to register for classes. Please refer to the Tuition & Fees  for applicable refund schedules.